Today, I'm talking with C.G. Powell about her paranormal/sci-fi romance SPELL CHECKED.
1) Please tell us about your book.
SPELL CHECKED is about Beck, who is waiting for the return of his eternal love, Helen. When she does return, it is in a body she can’t overshadow. As Beck gets to know Helen’s host, Mae, he falls in love with her and must choose.
2) What inspired you to write this book?
I always felt that the explanation of witches and vampires were not logical, so I decided to write them the way I feel made sense to me.
3) Paranormal romance is a popular genre right now, but it can be hard to stand out from the crowd. What makes your book different than others in this genre?
Spell Checked is more Sci-Fi / Fantasy than paranormal. The characters are written as human/alien half-breeds and their powers are more logic-based than magical. Future books will take them to other planets.
4) Your book is set in Ireland. Why do you choose to set it there? Have you had a chance to travel there at all?
I went there on my 10th anniversary. I had the privilege to go on the pub and folk tour, I enjoyed it so much, I wanted to share it with others. I’ve always felt a connection there and would go back in a heartbeat. Plus the place fit Beck’s rustic, but technologically advanced mentality perfectly. I really could see him spending his life there.
5) Paranormal fans all have their preferences in regards to what sort of supernaturals they find appealing. What type is your favorite and why?
My favorite are the Jinn (Genies). Their allegiance is neither good nor bad. I love that they can shape-shift, create fire and travel on the air. I wish there were more stories about them.
6) What supernatural would you like to see just disappear forever and why?
All supernatural beings have their own merit...I would not want to see any of them go away.
7) This is the first in the No Uncertain Logic series. What can we expect in the sequel?
The sequel, EXILE BYTES, will be a much darker book than SPELL CHECKED. There will be more traveling. We get to meet Mae’s parents. Plus I introduce the Nephilim (Demons).
There will be some interesting hook-ups and Beck is going to finally tell us the story of how he almost destroyed the world.
Before the sequel, there is another Terra Stellar novel called IMMORTAL VOYAGE that will be out first. It is the story of Aiden Fitz Thomas’ parents and is set in the Neolithic time period and the city of Atlantis.
If you'd like to find out more about C.G., you can check out her blog at http://spellcheckedbycgpowell.blogspot.com/.